Tuesday, March 13, 2007
@10:17 AM
Here we go againAverage pay for the 353 fresh grads up 13%, some getting $12,000 a month. Every one of last year's SMU graduates has been snapped up by employers, with 100 per cent of its graduates in 2006 who were looking for jobs having found employment within six months of graduation, according to the university's latest graduate employment survey. The average gross monthly starting salary for SMU graduates in full-time employment rose 13 per cent on year to $2,850, while those who graduated with Cum Laude honours receiving average monthly salaries of $3,300, a 15 per cent increase over 2005. To be fair, I have yet to examine the questionnaire in detail, but from what I gathered from the seniors, there was some integrity issues in the way those questions were phrased. Personally, I know a handful of friends who were out of job for months in 2006, but they were never part of this sample group. What's worst? The news actually reported that our top earners are earning between $4,000 to $12,000. I can bet my drink that this "$12,000" isn't just a random sample, but one which the administrators have ensured it's inside the group.
Another issue I have with this questionnaire is the exact time of publication. SMU Open House was held last weekend. This piece of news was broadcast over the TV last night and on the national papers today. Once again, we are trying to lure students to join us. Personally, I had complained this issue to the President, to the various Deans, to the specific Director; but it seems that they are happy with what they have achieved so far. No, I never buy this ads nor this strategy. In the first place, what kind of students are you really trying to attract to SMU with this type of survey result? We, as seniors, have witnessed how SMU freshmen have changed over the years. Instead of pushing all the blame to us, maybe it's time for the administrator to start reflecting on the ultimate outcome of such strategy.
by Str|fe
3 comments