Sunday, November 19, 2006
@9:30 AM
Not full but packedIt has been many months since I last picked up The Straits Times. Today's Sunday, so I reckon there will be some interesting articles inside. One which caught my eyes was the debate on whether the trains are REALLY overcrowded or Singaporeans are simply spoilt. Good one.
See, I never complained about the crowd in train. Not because it isn't packed. I don't complained because I can live with it. But reading how the different offices rebutted the issue can make my blood boiled.
SMRT says trains do not reach full capacity even during peak hours, with space for at least 400 more commuters. The figure, it said, is taken from observations at six high-traffic locations during morning and evening rush hours. Public Transport Council chairman Gerard Ee also commented on this issue. Then the news reporter also bring up Tokyo, London, and NY as examples to back up the claims that the trains in Singapore are not overcrowded. I detest it when these high office authorities make such comments. These peoples drive big BMW down the streets every day, whereas the heartlanders are the one squeezing in the trains daily. These authorities always make comments based on figures, yet how many of them really go down to the ground to experience a train ride in the morning/evening? Let me restate my point - I am not complaining about the overcrowding in trains. I am complaining about these authorities over-relying on figures instead of experiencing it first-hand (or at least listening to the heartlanders).
Now, does my complaint make me a "spoilt Singaporean"?
by Str|fe
0 comments