Wednesday, November 01, 2006
@8:44 AM
Advance Medical Directive (AMD)Read this post on Mr Wang's blog. Anyway, if you read my old blog, you should remember that I have an informal "will" written on the blog - I don't want to be on life-supporting equipment if I ever go unconcious forever.
The exact meaning of AMD is as follow: An Advance Medical Directive (AMD) is a legal document that you sign in advance to inform the doctor treating you (in the event you become terminally ill and unconscious) that you do not want any extraordinary life-sustaining treatment to be used to prolong your life.New advances in medical knowledge and technology create new choices for both patients and health care givers. Some of these choices raise new problems of ethics and law. One problem is that modern medical technology can technically prolong life in the final stages of a terminal illness. When a person enters into the final stages of a terminal illness, medical technology can never arrest the dying process. In such situations where further medical intervention would be medically futile, a decision has to be made for the withdrawal of such futile medical intervention. Some terminally ill persons who are unable to express their wishes at that time, may want to be spared further suffering and be allowed to die naturally, in peace and with dignity.I download the form. I think I will submit it in December.
http://www.moh.gov.sg/corp/systems/acts/amd.do
by Str|fe
0 comments