Tuesday, October 04, 2005
@2:06 PM
Came across this article on The Asian Wall Street Journal this morning. Wah ~ how often do you find this paper having some ethical debate? Hehe ~
Hmmm.... the number of Down syndrome live births has declined 7.8% from 1989 to 2001. Good news: Less suffering. Bad news: Highly likely due to more abortion. This is an overly-debated topic, yet this research paper conducted by a student is able to spark off some controversy.
Oh well, I am pro-abortion, that's for sure. If the prenatal test diagnoses the fetuses with disabilities, my firm stand is to terminate it. Why bring a child into suffering? Why if you have the choice?
I have worked with down syndrome adult during my community services. I pited him, and I pited the mum even more. He was 25 years old, and she was close to 50. Guess what, she looked much older. I believe the burden has weighted on her. Yesh, every mum will go "he ain't heavy, he is my son", but look at it from the practical point of view, you have the choice now. That's what prenatal testing is for!
Touch wood, but one fine day, if your doctor is gonna say this to you, "Your fetuse has been diagnose with down syndrome." Tell me, what's your decision? Your comment?
by Str|fe
0 comments